Monday, March 09, 2009

Wrist Warmers



Sunday I finished up the Handspun Mitts I've been working on, and since I was riding in the car with another hour or so in front of me, needles and yarn in my lap, I decided some more comfort was in order. The Mitts were knit in double-knitting, at 4.5 stitches per inch, so I made a rough estimate at 4 1/2 * 6 3/8 and got 29 (28.6875). I wanted ribbing, both for elasticity and for added depth to the fabric, so I decided to cast on 36 stitches and start off in 2x2 ribbing. I wanted cables, so ended up with 7 baby cables and 2 cables crossing over each other every 8 rounds to make a chain, crossing over the purl stitch next to them accordingly.

I finished the first one later in the evening, and started its mate. It's comforting to start and finish projects so fast, and I really need the added warmth sometimes. More details are on Ravelry.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

These came out really well. Love the baby cables

Shelley McClanahan said...

Thanks! I really like baby cables, don't need a cable needle and they're nice and cushy. This yarn is really fluffy and soft so the extra structure of the cables helps them hug my wrists. I'm wearing them as I write this, in fact.