Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Linen adventures continue

I have continued to work on linen handkerchiefs off and on over the winter.  The embroidered linen caftan spent most of the winter waiting for me to get back to it.  With the short daylight hours I wasn't able to work on it riding to and from the office, which has been the times I was working on it.  Yesterday I put it back into the car and worked on it during the ride to and from the office, and again this morning.  I'm part way along the last short edge.  Feels good to get back at it.

I've been using the black linen caftan as my after shower breakfast outfit quite often, particularly after showering to wash my hair.  I use another linen cloth made of a beautiful deep blue to let my hair drip into it.  This blue linen is handkerchief weight, or possibly slightly heavier.  It is very thin and light, packs easily and dries very fast.  In fact, when I use it after washing my hair it is usually only at the most damp where my ends hit, often it is dry.  The really nice thing is that my hair seems to dry a lot faster when I'm  using the linen cloth.  It may be the combination of the cloth with the linen caftan, but even just the cloth really helps.

The smooth texture of the linen is also good for my hair, as it does not abrade the scales of the hair causing them to roughen up.  I need to make some more of these cloths.

The linen sheet I made for my DH has had a lot of use.  He likes it, and thinks it helps, but he would like one that is wider.  I need to get some more fabric to make him a wider sheet, and also pillowcases.  I sleep on a silk pillow case since that is very smooth for my hair, and I get cold easily.  He is usually hot, so linen is much better for him.  My sons are also interested in getting linen sheets, so I'll have to make several.

No comments: